Friday, April 15, 2011

Richardson Signs With UVA-Wise

Cougar Lineman Moves To The Next Level
By David Gravely

The Pulaski County football program will be sending another player to the next level, as Jimmy Richardson signed his official Letter of Intent to play for Head Coach Dewey Lusk and the University of Virginia at Wise on Wednesday in front of friends, family, and Cougar Head Football Coach Todd Jones.

"Any time we can help a young man get to the next level in his education, that's a special day for us" said Coach Jones.  "This is a great opportunity for Jimmy and his family, and we wish him all the best of luck.  Hopefully we will be seeing some more players get the chance he's getting in the near future."

Richardson, who was one of the team captains for the 2010 Cougar squad, will be going into the Highlander Cavaliers camp this season with high hopes and expectations.  "I want to get there and become a better football player" said Richardson.   "I want to work my way into some playing time, and then I want to compete for a starting spot.  I want to do what I can to help make the team better, and I want to focus on getting my education.  I looked at alot of schools, and UVA-Wise just seemed like a great fit for me.  I'm really excited about this opportunity."

"I think Jimmy is going to have a chance to work his way in" said Coach Jones.  "He's a hard worker, and he's got the size he needs for this level.  I know Coach Lusk will help him become a better player."  Coach Jones, an Emory and Henry alumni, has prior experience working with Coach Lusk.  "He was a skill position and quarterback coach at Emory and Henry when I played there.  He has a great knowledge of the game and knows how to get the most out of his players."

As with most small colleges, sports scholarship money is hard to come by, but Richardson will be receiving a partial football scholarship to help get him started.  With the economy as  tough as it is right now, Richardson offered some advice to the younger players currently in the rec league and middle school systems.  "Start paying attention to your grades now.   Working hard in the weight room and in practice is important, but you really need to be able to perform in the class room to get the attention of the schools.  Not everybody is going to be able to go to a big time school or get a sports scholarship, but having good grades can help get you where you want to go."

Coach Jones echoed those thoughts as well.  "I've been fortunate enough to help alot of student athletes make it into college, but there were so many more that could have made it if they had just had the grades.   Too many times we'll see a player who all the athletic ability and talent in the world, but they cant get to that next level because of bad study habits and not focusing in the classroom.  Hopefully, we can help change that."

No comments:

Post a Comment