Friday, April 15, 2011

Anderson Signs With Wasps

Anderson Signs With Wasps
By David Gravely

Around twelve years ago a young lady picked up a bat to take her first swings at a ball in a tee ball game.  On Thursday, that young lady realized a lifelong dream of getting a chance to play at the college level.  Pulaski County High School senior softball player Bethany Anderson made her decision official as she signed her Letter of Intent to play for the Emory and Henry Wasps softball team.

"I'm so happy to get this chance" said Anderson.  "I've always dreamed of playing at the next level, and I am so excited to be a part of what Coach (Jack) Jordan is doing at Emory and Henry.  They are working on building a solid foundation for their program to take it places in the future.  I hope to be able to help the team out as much as possible, and hopefully earn some playing time early."

Wasp Head Coach Jack Jordan was pleased to hear of Anderson's decision.  "We are so excited to have Bethany join the Emory and Henry family.  She is a very talented softball player who has the ability to play multiple positions.  More importantly she is a solid student and a terrific young lady."  Coach Jackson, who is in his first full year as the Wasps Head Coach, is hoping to take his team to a higher level of play immediately.  "This being my first recruiting class, it has been of particular importance to bring in players who are both committed and motivated.  I am confident Bethany will excel both on the field and in the classroom, and will play a big role in the future of the program."

Pulaski County has had strong ties to Emory and Henry for many years.   Many Pulaski County student athletes have found a home there.   Head football coach Todd Jones and athletic director Mark Hanks are both graduates, and Lady Cougar Head Coach Gina Miano is a graduate and a member of their sports Hall of Fame.  She was equally excited for Anderson.  "Bethany is the ideal athlete for a coach to have the privilege of working with year after year.  She is kind, polite and internally motivated to become better each day.  She has received the Best Sportsmanship Award four years in a row, and that award is team voted so her teammates respect her as an athlete, as a young lady and as a captain.  Some athletes talk the talk but don't walk the walk.  Bethany walks the walk and then turns it into a sprint.   She is an outstanding young lady and softball player and will be greatly missed by our program.  We wish her all the luck and success at Emory and Henry.  This was a perfect match for her.  We all wish her nothing but the best of luck."

When ask what motivates her, Anderson was very clear.  "My team, my coaches, and all of the coaches that I've been honored to work with over the years have all meant alot to me.  I've tried to learn as much as I could from them all.  My main support over the years though has always been my family.   I cant begin to tell you how much my family means to me.  Both of them spent so much time getting me to and from games and practices, as well as helping out my teams.  The time I've gotten to spend with my dad has been really special to me.  He has always been there in the back yard to help me practice and working with me to help me get better.  My mom has always been there too.  Any time I've stepped into the on deck circle, I know I can look into the stands and she'll give me a thumbs up of encouragement.  They and my brother Thomas have always been there behind me, and I am so thankful."

Anderson has played softball in some form since she was first allowed at the earliest levels of tee ball and coach pitch.  After playing in the Pulaski County recreation league every year, she also played for the Virginia Wlidcats and the Southwest Virginia Pumas travel teams.  Her memories of those teams, she says, never fail to put a smile on her face.  "We got to shave a coaches head one year for winning the championship, and we made Coach Ward Angle wear a tu tu and tierra and pose for pictures.  Being on a team with a bunch of girls wasn't always easy, but we always had fun.  That's what you have to do to be successful.  It has to be fun.  You have to love it, and you have to want to be there and want to get better.  It takes alot of hard work, but it's worth it in the end.  My dad always told me I had to put my grades and schoolwork before the game, and now I can see how important that was.  For any of the younger players out there that want to have a shot at this one day, that's the best advice I can give you.  Perform in the classroom first, and then perform on the field."

Anderson's parents are justifiably proud of their daughter.  "She's worked hard for this, and I'm so proud to see her reach her goal" said Alan Anderson.  "I think Emory and Henry is gaining a great young lady."  Bethany's mother Norma Anderson added "We're so excited and happy.  She's worked so hard and I cant wait to see her in her Emory and Henry uniform for the first time.  We're very thankful to everyone who has helped Bethany get to this point."

No comments:

Post a Comment